Serving Two Masters

 I’m trying hard to curtail my sewing projects long enough to finish the bridal jewelry for a dear co-worker but I’m finding it very difficult.  The wedding is in exactly 4 weeks (now 3).  I have 4 of 8 necklaces left to make and 8 pair of earrings.  It’s not a complicated design, it’s just that my sewing projects keep distracting me.  Because the weather has been so nice here, I devised a plan to satisfy 2 masters- I make jewelry outside during the day (my idea of communing with nature) and sew some quick projects at night.  It’s genius!  First order of business was to salvage fabric from en epic project failure from 1 1/2 years ago!  I have to realize that every pattern is not flattering on everybody, specifically me!  While I’m sure Vogue 1195 is beautiful on some people, it doesn’t work for me. 


 It only took me 2 attempts to figure this out!  The trial and error is not so bad but it’s the waste of some  good fabric that I have a problem with! This pattern was practically screaming for a muslin, but I obviously wasn’t listening. So the 2 1/2 yards of beautiful fabric went bye bye. Fortunately, I didn’t have the heart to throw it away. Instead, it sat in a frustrated heap for 1 1/2 years. The only thing I could do with the tortured fabric was to make a camisole using Simplicity 9572.

Simplicity 9572


 Believe me, I was happy to at least have that!  I’ll definitely get more wear out of the camisole anyway!  The second attempt was only slightly better than the 1st and eventhough I cut a size smaller this time, the neckline is still too large.  It is so unflattering that  I’m letting  Bella, my dressform do the honors here.  I may see a camisole in it’s future too!

My 2nd failed attempt


A Broken Record

 Okay, so what’s not been said about McCalls 6559!  I can’t think of anything positive that hasn’t been said already so I’m just throwing my 2 cents in.  

Only two pieces stand between you and a great, RTW dress.  It’s a nice easy project to reward yourself with after completing a complicated design!  I actually have to thank my daughter, Jazmin who really picked this pattern so the first one made was hers in the leopard print. 

Not to be outdone, I made the striped one for me!  I could hear my mom’s voice in my head …”don’t get striped fabric, it’s too hard to get the stripes lined up!”  I’m so glad I didn’t listen (not the first time either!) because I love the stripes and think I did an okay job with the chevroning!  You be the judge!


stripes aligned