I have a new appreciation for the term “patience is a virtue” which I’ve seriously developed since working on this leather project! It took a good 2 hours just to get the right layout before cutting. Some of the skins have imperfections or holes which I had to navigate around for the best layout.
I’ve cut all my pieces out. I’m amazed at the amount of scrap leather left over!
I’m already envisioning small projects from the scrap! Maybe an obi belt, clutch bag (Craftsy has a class on purse making I’m considering buying-perfect timing) and definitely some jewelry elements. I just have to find the time!
Anyway, back to the current project. The leather was not as difficult to sew as I had imagined. In fact, it was a dream to sew! My fear of topstitching has not diminished.
The topstitching really gives it character, aside from reinforcing the seams, of course! Some of my topstitching is not as nice (ok straight!) as I would like it but I’m not going to sweat over it!
Although, I used binder clips to hold the pieces, they still shifted a bit. Thankfully, it’s not a big deal since the lining will be attached to the top and bottom.
So the pattern calls for fake fur, but I decided to use real fur only beause I already had it on hand. My mom and I found two mink stoles at a Salvation Army last year. My mom makes beautiful cashmere/wool capes and adds fur collars.
That was the intention of the $25 (total) I spent on that purchase!
Oh the treasures you find in a good thrift store! I’ve also found very interesting jewelry that I take apart to use in jewelry designs. Brooches and earrings can become pendants with a litte ingenuity! You just have to have an open mind. Besides, there’s a dual benefit in thrifting: the creative aspect but more importantly, the money I spend goes toward helping people in need. Can’t beat that feeling!
The only design element I’ve changed is that my fur collar will be detachable. I figure I’ll get more wear out of this piece with a detachable collar.
Since this project requires such a slow hand and I’m such an exciteable person, I decided to give myself some immediate gratification by making a top
using McCalls 6571
and a bracelet! My creative juices were flowin last weekend! All in an effort to contain my excitement over the Burda project.
What’s left to do: Sew in the pockets, attach the bottom panels, attach the lining, then the fur. Hopefully, I’ll be able to wear it by Christmas! Until next time…